- Event: Community Forum on Education
- Date: Saturday, February 12, 2022
- Time: 10 AM to 1 PM
- Place: Jefferson/Silva High School: Cafeteria (4700 Alameda 79905)
- Zoom Meeting for those exercising precaution:
- Meeting ID: 834 6006 6914
- Moderator: Xavier Miranda (EPISD teacher/parent)
- 10:00 AM to 10:05 AM: Introductions and purpose
- 10:05 AM to 10:20 AM: TXSBoard of Education Representative Georgina Perez
- 10:20 AM to 10:50 AM: Parents and Familias Unidas del Chamizal
- Robert and Jennifer Ardovino, Rick Rubio, Xochitl Rodriguez
- 10:50 AM to 11:05 AM: Texas State Representative Joe Moody
- 11:05 AM to 11:20 AM: Border Network for Human Rights Executive Director Fernando Garcia
- 11:20 AM to 11:30 AM: EPISD Trustee Leah Hanany
- 11:30 AM to 11:55 AM: Teachers from our community and El Paso Alliance for Just Schools
- Jose Fierro, Rosie Cantu, Jackie Martinez, Ludmila Silva, Aaron Waggoner
- 11:55 AM to 12:10 PM: El Paso Teachers Association President Norma De La Rosa
- 12:10 PM to 1:00 PM: EPISD Superintendent Diana Sayavedra and Public forum
Thanks for the post Rich.
We’re attending this forum at a time when our already fractured education system confronts daunting challenges from an authoritarian faction that seeks to ban books, censor curriculum, privatize schools, eviscerate the teaching ranks, disregard health and environmental authorities, and even subvert our democracy.
Therefore, the purpose of this forum is to restore the bond between our community and public servants in order to identify and address the systemic failures that exploit our children. I believe we share a vision for equity, but we need to support each other in implementing community-based solutions. Our children depend on us to do right by them.
I missed part of this…it would be helpful to know who’s being endorsed by whom as we move into the early voting for the primary election…thanks!
Is this about education or indoctrination?
A distinction without a difference.